August anderberg, purchased area number 7, nedreglumslöv, in 1867. that was the official title of the site. The judge had a house built and called the property mariehild after his wife.
His particular interest was botany and his ambition was to plant tropical trees and bushes on his property. Trees planted by the judge still exist today in the park grounds.
Countess Constance Wachtmeister acquired the property following the death of Anderberg in 1883. She was the widow of the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Count Wachtmeister, French by birth and daughter of a French marquis. Following her husband´s death she devoted her time and interests to growing unusal trees and spiritualism. She organized the park grounds, added balconies and towers to the house and also changed the name Mariehild to Maryhill which considered more English sounding.
Visit by King Oscar II
Count Fredrik Posse bought Maryhill in the beginning of the 1890´s. The Countess Wachtmeister had moved abroad. Fredrik Pose constructed railways. He was highly thought of by the local population and became somewhat of a folk hero, although he received a three month prison sentence, which he served in Landskrona jail, for willfully building a railroad line over a competitors railway. Triumphal arches were erected for him at Ålabodarna and he returned to Maryhill after serving his sentence. Prior to this, King Oscar II had anchored just outside Ålabodarna. Here he inaugurated the new harbour, had his named engraved in stone and dined with the Count and Countess of Maryhill.
Fredrik Posse was not only a builder of railways. He ran a cotton factory in Annelöv and bought ore-fields in Norrland. He passed away in 1897 but his daughter, Amelie, has portrayed his life at Maryhill in the book ”In the beginning there was light”.
The Posse family lost a large part of their fortune in a process concerning ore-fields in Norrland and Maryhill was sold to the ”Sugar-king” Carl Tranchell. It was his aim to construct a palace here similar to Versailles. But Tranchell´s sons managed to avert the idea from becoming a reality. The town architect of Landskrona, Fredrik Sundbärg, drew up new plans resulting in the way the castle looks today. Construction was carried out from 1914-1918. The building cost 1 million Swedish kronor, an incomprehensible amount in those days.
Following in the death of Tranchell in 1919, Örenäs Castle, was bought by Fredrik Bonde, who lived here until 1939. Bonde was brought to the attention of Nazi sympathizers who wanted to acquire the property as a place of recreation for high ranking nazis. Fredrik Bonde declined and instead sold Örenäs Castle to the trade union organization of Scania. In 1943 Örenäs Castle was opened as a holiday hotel and course center. Reso was responsible for the running costs and later acquired the property.
During the Second World War Örenäs Castle was turned into a sanctuary for Danish and Estonian refugees. In the castle cellar there are two places, Eesti Club and the games hall, where the refugees have made wall paintings in memory of this period.
Modern hotel and conference facility
Today Örenäs Slott offers modern accommodation in different environments - in the castle, the mansion or in the hotel - spread over 115 rooms and 228 beds. Our modern conference center is ideal for groups up to 400 people, with 16 meeting rooms, study rooms, seven acres of parkland and a castle restaurant with sea views.